Part 3. Perform StoneSkirt Installation: Page 1
Step 1: Setting the Base
A. Determine StoneSkirt column height
The distance between the angle iron and floor joist must be in
multiples of 8", with an additional 2" to account for frost heave in
areas deemed necessary. Thus, examples of the distance
between the floor joist and the angle iron are 18", 26", 34", 42",
50", etc. (Fig. 1)
B. Prepare base pad (if ground set)
Once the column height is determined, dig a trench and fill it
with gravel or other suitable material.
1. The base pad should measure a minimum of 4" deep
and 10" wide.
2. Compact the gravel or other material with a hand tamper.
C. Install Angle Iron
1. Level and align the angle iron on the base pad.
2. Secure angle iron into position with stakes. This will prevent
the angle iron from shifting during and after the installation.
(Fig. 2 & 3)
D. Prepare base (if concrete pad)
1. Place a wooden 2x4 where you want the back of the columns
to be. Nail the 2x4 into the cement slab. This will prevent the
StoneSkirt units from being pushed under the home. (Fig. 4)
2. Install the StoneSkirt units so the back of the units press
against the 2x4. (Fig. 4)